RPG Blog Carnival, April 2009: Humor and Gaming

April 1st, 2009

rpgblogcarnivallogoThe RPG Blog Carnival is pitching its tents here at A Butterfly Dreaming this month, and in honor of the day and the Dragon magazines of my youth, I say:

Send in the clowns!

Last month was hosted by The Book of Rev, on the topic of war, so to wind down, we’ll be taking a look at the lighter side this month.  The topic is Humor.  Silly items or monsters you’ve created for your games, parodies, funny stories about things your characters did, reviews of humor-based RPGs.  If it has to do with roleplaying games and it’s funny, it’s in.

Once you’ve got your post up, please comment on this article with a link back so that I can more easily include it in the Roundup at the end of the month.  Linking to this page should automatically generate a trackback, too, but I make no guarantees.

And remember to check out the previous RPG Blog Carnivals:

Related posts:

1. Humor and Gaming Blog Carnival Roundup
  2. Last Week for the Carnival
  3. RPG Blog Anthology: Kudos
  4. Starting a blog? Mind your layout.
  5. The Lighter Side

Get a Trackback link

8 Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Pingback: April’s RPG Blog Carnival: When your DM shares your warped sense of humor. « Vulcan Stev’s Database on Monday, April 6, 2009
  2. Pingback: 1001 Bobs » The First Week of April in the Year 2009 on Tuesday, April 7, 2009
  3. Pingback: Funny Feats — Dungeon's Master on Saturday, April 11, 2009
  4. Pingback: Suffering For His Art - The Dice Bag on Friday, April 17, 2009
  5. Pingback: Last Week for the Carnival | A Butterfly Dreaming on Monday, April 27, 2009
  6. Pingback: D&D Comic Strips | Mad Brew Labs on Thursday, April 30, 2009
  7. Pingback: Month in Review: April 2009 — Dungeon's Master on Friday, May 1, 2009
  8. Trackback: Stargazer's World on Sunday, June 14, 2009

20 Comments

1. Daniel M. Perez, The Gamer Traveler, Apr. 1, 2009, 6:01 pm:

Hmm, a tricky one for me on The Gamer Traveler (though on my personal blog, it should be ok).

Of course, I could always submit my post from today (see CommentLuv link). ;-)

Daniel M. Perez, The Gamer Traveler´s last blog post: Strange Graffiti on Dumas’ Tomb

2. Wyatt, Apr. 3, 2009, 10:01 am:

Oh ho ho! Let me think about this one and I’ll get back to ya.

3. Vulcan Stev, Apr. 6, 2009, 12:28 am:

Mine’s in the queue. I’ll provide the link when it goes live.

Vulcan Stev´s last blog post: 31 Days to a Better Blog: Pre Challenge

4. Vulcan Stev, Apr. 6, 2009, 4:12 pm:
  5. satyre, Apr. 9, 2009, 5:08 am:

Proof that the secret of comedy is timing – me missing the chance to post about my carnival post yesterday.

Game for a Laugh.

Can’t say fairer than that, can I?

satyre´s last blog post: game for a laugh

6. Ameron, Apr. 11, 2009, 9:15 am:

My addition to this month’s blog carnival, Funny Feats, is live now at Dungeon’s Master.

Ameron´s last blog post: Funny Feats

7. Viriatha, Apr. 12, 2009, 6:47 am:

I wrote about notebooks and snuck a prank in at the end of it.

Easy Notebook Projects

8. Bob, Apr. 17, 2009, 11:14 am:

I’m really not sure anyone else will get the humour in my entry. At the time I was more in shock than anything else ;)

Bob´s last blog post: Suffering For His Art

9. MJ Harnish, Apr. 19, 2009, 3:25 am:

My contribution, providing some suggestions of humorous indie RPGs, can be found here.

10. Anders Hällzon, Apr. 19, 2009, 10:52 am:

Ah, here we go.

Starting out with a controversial title: Why Funny Games Suck
    Following up with some random Random Chimeric Monsters.
    And finishing with some Random Loot-Imitating Monsters.

Anders Hällzon´s last blog post: Avoiding grind in D&D4

11. MJ Harnish, Apr. 20, 2009, 7:12 am:

I have another contribution to the blog carnival: Gold, the web series.

12. Stargazer, Apr. 21, 2009, 7:07 am:
  13. Mike Bourke, Apr. 27, 2009, 7:24 am:

Types of humour and how they can work – or not work – in RPGs. This was a hard one to write, I’ve been working on it all month…. hopefully it will inspire someone else to incorporate a bit more humour into their campaigns! You can read the blog here: The Right Quip At The Right Time: Humour in RPGs. And check out some of the other articles Johnn Four and I have posted while you’re there if you’re looking for even more inspiration!

14. Andre Vienne, Apr. 28, 2009, 4:40 pm:
  15. Chuck, Apr. 29, 2009, 12:35 am:

My even more meager contribution, just a song I think gamers should hear. It looks like CommentLuv is picking up the link…

Chuck´s last blog post: The Games That I Play Only Have Twenty-Sided Dice

16. Mad Brew, Apr. 30, 2009, 12:40 pm:

My contribution (which also showed up in the pingback)

Mad Brew´s last blog post: D&D Comic Strips

17. jonathan, Apr. 30, 2009, 7:52 pm:
  18. Questing GM, May. 1, 2009, 7:07 am:

Poking fun at Wizards’s PDF policy when it happened this month. Sadly, here’s the only one I could managed this month.

Questing GM´s last blog post: Word of Wizards – D&D Test Drive

19. Ravyn, May. 1, 2009, 6:13 pm:

I have three for this month. The first is straight humor; the other two are attempts to take apart the concept of humor in a narrative.

Five Concepts to Kick-Start a Short Campaign

Humor: An Overview

Four Comic Relief Characters Who Aren’t So Funny

Ravyn´s last blog post: Villain Spotlight: Zora Aldebar

20. Maria, Jun. 1, 2009, 9:24 am:

Great post. I love stuff like this post.